Definition of blue morpho
: any of various large butterflies of the genus (such as M. peleides and M. menelaus) having a brilliant blue metallic luster on the upper surface of the wingsJust then, a blue morpho, the size of my palm, landed on my blue-flowered knapsack.— Erin Taylor Monroney, National Geographic Traveler, January 1998 Blue morphos often fly in long chains of five or more, making them almost seem to dance as they move through the air.— Lynn Edge, Birmingham (Alabama) News, 29 Aug. 2010
Keep scrolling for more
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
Ask the Editors
- Why Do People Pronounce It "Nucular"?
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- Word Puzzles Take the quiz
- Where in the World? A Quiz Take the quiz
- Spell It Take the quiz
- Syn City Play the game