Definition of blue monkey
: a guenon monkey (Cercopithecus mitus) chiefly inhabiting forests of central and eastern Africa and having thick, typically grayish-blue to black fur with white on the throat and belly In my fieldwork on blue monkeys (Cercopithecus mitis), my colleagues and I have witnessed fierce encounters of that kind every month or so, while less dramatic confrontations, such as a couple of animals growling at their neighbors, occur every day or two.— Marina Cords, Natural History, September 2008 The blue monkey can be distinguished from other South African monkeys by its more arboreal behaviour and retiring nature, and its cryptic but rather beautiful coat—dark grey-blue with flecks of orange-brown on the back, and a white belly. — DK Eyewitness Travel Guide: South Africa, 2011
Keep scrolling for more
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
- The Words of the Week - 6/18/21
- The Disparity Between 'Desperate' and 'Disparate'
- An Impartial View of 'Fair' and 'Fare'
- A Guide to Em Dashes, En Dashes, and Hyphens
Ask the Editors
- Return of Name that Color! Take the quiz
- Name that Thing: Dog Breeds Take the quiz
- How Strong Is Your Vocabulary? Take the quiz
- SCRABBLE® Sprint Play the game