Definition of blue monkey
: a guenon monkey (Cercopithecus mitus) chiefly inhabiting forests of central and eastern Africa and having thick, typically grayish-blue to black fur with white on the throat and belly In my fieldwork on blue monkeys (Cercopithecus mitis), my colleagues and I have witnessed fierce encounters of that kind every month or so, while less dramatic confrontations, such as a couple of animals growling at their neighbors, occur every day or two.— Marina Cords, Natural History, September 2008 The blue monkey can be distinguished from other South African monkeys by its more arboreal behaviour and retiring nature, and its cryptic but rather beautiful coat—dark grey-blue with flecks of orange-brown on the back, and a white belly. — DK Eyewitness Travel Guide: South Africa, 2011
Keep scrolling for more
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
- Hot Enough for You? Words for the Summer Heat
- Where Does 'Run-of-the-Mill' Come From?
- The Provenance of 'Providence'
- The Good, The Bad, & The Semantically Imprecise - 8/16/19
Ask the Editors
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- Summer 2019 Words of the Day Quiz Take the quiz
- Obscure Shapes Take the quiz
- Spell It Take the quiz
- Citation Play the game