Definition of blue giant
: a bluish star that has a high surface temperature and a diameter that is large relative to the sun Later, just a few thousand years before the supernova explosion, the red giant apparently lost some of its girth, forming a blue giant, which emits a faster, lower density wind.— Ron Cowen, Science News, 6 Mar. 1993
Note: Blue giant is not a technical term and can be applied to a number of different types of stars, as long as they are large and hot enough to appear blue in the night sky.— compare red giant
Keep scrolling for more
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
Ask the Editors
- Why Do People Pronounce It "Nucular"?
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- Word Puzzles Take the quiz
- Where in the World? A Quiz Take the quiz
- Spell It Take the quiz
- Syn City Play the game