Definition of blue dog
1 : smooth dogfish
3 Blue Dog, US politics : a member of a group of primarily southern Democrats who identify themselves as more moderate or conservative than mainstream Democrats The governor who had worked so closely with conservative Democrats in Texas seemed to have a perfect partner-in-waiting on the other side of the congressional aisle: the Blue Dog Democrats.— Michael Crowley, New Republic, 20 Aug. 2001 In the House, the Blue Dogs, fifty-two conservative Democrats, also prevented health care legislation from coming to the House floor before the recess.— Elizabeth Drew, New York Review of Books, 22 Oct. 2009
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
- The Disparity Between 'Desperate' and 'Disparate'
- An Impartial View of 'Fair' and 'Fare'
- A Guide to Em Dashes, En Dashes, and Hyphens
- The Words of the Week - 6/11/2021
Ask the Editors
- Name that Thing: Dog Breeds Take the quiz
- Words You Should Know Quiz, Vol. 1 Take the quiz
- True or False? Take the quiz
- Word Winder's CrossWinder Play the game