Definition of blown oil
1 : a thickened oil obtained by blowing a fatty oil (such as linseed oil or a fish oil) and used in paints and varnishes as a drying oil and in lubricants
— called also oxidized oil— compare bodied oil
2 : a semisolid or solid substance (such as an asphalt) obtained by blowing fluid bitumens or residual oils from the distillation of petroleum and used in paints and protective coatings
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
- The Provenance of 'Providence'
- The Good, The Bad, & The Semantically Imprecise - 8/16/19
- Lovelock to Trichologist: 8 Words About Hair
- The Haiku That Can Pay You Contest Winners
Ask the Editors
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?