Definition of blown oil
1 : a thickened oil obtained by blowing a fatty oil (such as linseed oil or a fish oil) and used in paints and varnishes as a drying oil and in lubricants
— called also oxidized oil— compare bodied oil
2 : a semisolid or solid substance (such as an asphalt) obtained by blowing fluid bitumens or residual oils from the distillation of petroleum and used in paints and protective coatings
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
Ask the Editors
- Why is there a 'd' in 'fridge' but not in 'refrigerator'?
- 'All Intensive Purposes' or 'All Intents and Purposes'?
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- Name that Thing: Dog Breeds Take the quiz
- Words You Should Know Quiz, Vol. 1 Take the quiz
- Name That Thing Take the quiz
- Word Winder's CrossWinder Play the game