Definition of blackwash
(Entry 1 of 2)
1 : to color with blackwash
2 : defame entry 1 sense 2 —contrasted with whitewash
Definition of black wash (Entry 2 of 2)
1 : a lotion of calomel and lime water used on syphilitic sores
— called also black lotion
2 usually blackwash
a : a wash that colors a surface black — compare whitewash
3 : a wash of blacking and other ingredients used for coating foundry molds and cores to prevent their being burned by the molten metal
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
- 'Conscience' vs. 'Conscious': Let Us Be Your Guide
- Hot Enough for You? Words for the Summer Heat
- Where Does 'Run-of-the-Mill' Come From?
- The Provenance of 'Providence'
Ask the Editors
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- Summer 2019 Words of the Day Quiz Take the quiz
- Obscure Shapes Take the quiz
- How Strong Is Your Vocabulary? Take the quiz
- SCRABBLE® Sprint Play the game