Definition of blackfin tuna
: a tuna (Thunnus atlanticus) that is found off the Atlantic coast of America from Massachusetts to Brazil and is bluish-black above and white below with silvery-gray sides and dark-colored fins Fishermen focused on pelagic big game species are reporting consistent action on blackfin tuna, along with a mix of mahi mahi, yellowfin tuna, amberjack and wahoo in the warm waters off of the Outer Banks. — Bob Jones, News Journal (Wilmington, Delaware), 12 Jan. 2012
Keep scrolling for more
a sum of money that is sent as a payment
Get Word of the Day daily email!
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
Ask the Editors
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- Time Traveler Quiz: Which Word Came First? Take the quiz
- Slippery Words Quiz—Changing with the Times Take the quiz
- True or False? Take the quiz
- SCRABBLE® Sprint Play the game