Definition of blackbody radiation
: the characteristic thermal radiation emitted by a blackbody when heated Instead, one gets a sort of averaged-out behavior called “blackbody radiation,” which has not much to do with the details of what a hot object is made of. The only relevant factor is the temperature. — Boston Globe, 10 Mar. 2005
— called also Planckian radiation— compare planck radiation law
Note: The blackbody radiation is the theoretical maximum amount of radiation that a body can emit at a given temperature.
Keep scrolling for more
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
Ask the Editors
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- The Exceptions Quiz III Take the quiz
- Musical Words Quiz Take the quiz
- How Strong Is Your Vocabulary? Take the quiz
- Bee Cubed Play the game