black beetlenoun (1)
Definition of black beetle
(Entry 1 of 2)
: either of two glossy black burrowing beetles that are very destructive to turf and certain cultivated plants in Australia:
a : a beetle (Heteronychus sanctae-helenae) that was accidentally introduced from Africa
b : a native beetle (Metanastes vulgivagus)
Definition of blackbeetle (Entry 2 of 2)
: oriental cockroach
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
- Do You 'Rein In' or 'Reign In' Something?
- Tiger Mom, Helicopter Parent, and More Words for Parenting Types
- The Good, The Bad, & The Semantically Imprecise - 6/21/19
- An Overview of the Contronym 'Overlook'
Ask the Editors
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- Words for Summer: A Quiz Take the quiz
- Finance Words Quiz Take the quiz
- True or False? Take the quiz
- Add Diction Play the game