Definition of black-crowned crane
: a crowned crane (Balearica pavonina) of sub-Saharan Africa that has dark gray feathers, white wing coverts, red and white cheek patches, a black crown on the front of the head, and a large yellow crest of long, stiff feathers on the back of the head
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
- The Words of the Week - 6/18/21
- The Disparity Between 'Desperate' and 'Disparate'
- An Impartial View of 'Fair' and 'Fare'
- A Guide to Em Dashes, En Dashes, and Hyphens
Ask the Editors
- Return of Name that Color! Take the quiz
- Name that Thing: Dog Breeds Take the quiz
- How Strong Is Your Vocabulary? Take the quiz
- SCRABBLE® Sprint Play the game