Definition of black-crowned crane
: a crowned crane (Balearica pavonina) of sub-Saharan Africa that has dark gray feathers, white wing coverts, red and white cheek patches, a black crown on the front of the head, and a large yellow crest of long, stiff feathers on the back of the head
an act or instance of editing or removing
Get Word of the Day daily email!
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
- 12 Words For A Lunar Travelogue
- The Good, The Bad, & The Semantically Imprecise - 7/19/19
- On ‘Perpetrate’ and ‘Perpetuate’
- 13 Verbs From The Breakfast Table
Ask the Editors
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?