Definition of black-chinned hummingbird
: a hummingbird (Archilochus alexandri) of western North America, the male being greenish above with the upper part of the throat velvety black, the lower a brilliantly iridescent violet, and the under parts of the body dull white
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
- The Good, The Bad, & The Semantically Imprecise - 8/23/19
- Getting to the Heart of 'Epicenter'
- 'Conscience' vs. 'Conscious': Let Us Be Your Guide
- It's a Scorcher! Words for the Summer Heat
Ask the Editors
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?