variants: or black-bellied whistling duck or less commonly black-bellied tree duck
Definition of black-bellied whistling-duck
: a chiefly nocturnal whistling-duck (Dendrocygna autumnalis) of the southwestern U.S. that has a red bill and pinkish legs and typically perches in trees … black-bellied whistling-ducks dine at night on grain, seeds, insects and mollusks, and shoots found in shallow water.— Grant Jefferies, Bradenton (Florida) Herald, 21 Feb. 2011
Keep scrolling for more
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
Ask the Editors
- Why Do People Pronounce It "Nucular"?
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- Word Puzzles Take the quiz
- Where in the World? A Quiz Take the quiz
- Spell It Take the quiz
- Add Diction Play the game