Definition of black truffle
: any dark-colored truffle especially : the dark, edible, subterranean fruiting body of an ascomycetous fungus (Tuber melanosporum) grown especially in France, Spain, and Italy Cut black truffles, which cost $800 a pound this time of year, are sautéed separately with shallots, garlic and thyme. — Jacob E. Osterhout, Daily News (New York), 27 Jan. 2013 In France alone, the annual black truffle harvest has fallen from about 1,000 tons in the 1930s to about 50 tons now. — David Jolly, New York Times, 21 Dec. 2012
Keep scrolling for more
to form ideas or theories about something
Get Word of the Day daily email!
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
Ask the Editors
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- Farm Idioms Quiz Take the quiz
- Up in the Sky: A Quiz Take the quiz
- True or False? Take the quiz
- SCRABBLE® Sprint Play the game