black sea bassnoun
Definition of black sea bass
1 : an abundant and important food fish (Centropristes striatus) of the Atlantic coast of the U.S. that is dark bluish with black bands and more or less varied with small white spots and blotches
— called also sea bass
2 : giant bass
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
Ask the Editors
- Why Do People Pronounce It "Nucular"?
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- Word Puzzles Take the quiz
- Where in the World? A Quiz Take the quiz
- Spell It Take the quiz
- Syn City Play the game