black scabbard fishnoun
variants: or black scabbardfish
Definition of black scabbard fish
: an eellike fish (Aphanopus carbo of the family Trichiuridae) of the northern Atlantic Ocean that has a small, forked caudal fin, and thin, delicate, copper-colored skin that turns blackish upon death
Keep scrolling for more
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
Ask the Editors
- Why Do People Pronounce It "Nucular"?
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- Word Puzzles Take the quiz
- Where in the World? A Quiz Take the quiz
- Spell It Take the quiz
- Add Diction Play the game