Definition of black sage
1 : a woolly-leaved plant (Trichostema lanatum) native to southern California and Mexico
2 : any of several plants of the genus Cordia especially : an introduced weed (C. macrostachya) that is a serious pest in sugar plantations on Mauritius
3 : a common highly inflammable California sage (Salvia mellifera) that is the chief source of sage honey
4 : either of two sagebrushes (Artemisia arbuscula and A. tridentata) of the western U.S.
5 : a California herb (Audibertia stachyoides)
to affect and impair by alcohol or a drug
Get Word of the Day daily email!
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
Ask the Editors
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- Words from Greek and Latin Quiz Take the quiz
- Name That Thing: Animal Edition Take the quiz
- True or False? Take the quiz
- Word Winder's CrossWinder Play the game