black rat snakenoun
plural black rat snakes
Definition of black rat snake
: a common, heavy-bodied rat snake (Pantherophis obsoletus obsoletus synonym Pantherophis obsoleta obsoleta synonym Elaphe obsoleta obsoleta) chiefly of the eastern and central U.S. that is black with a white throat and sometimes white showing between the scales, typically reaches over five feet (1.5 meters) in length, and feeds on birds and small animals (such as mice, rats, and frogs)
— called also blacksnake, black snake
Keep scrolling for more
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
- 7 Words Related to "Work"
- The Parts of the Fruit: Seed, Pericarp, and More
- The Trick to Choosing 'Pawn Off' or 'Palm Off'
- The Good, The Bad, & The Semantically Imprecise - 9/13/19
Ask the Editors
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?