Definition of black pit
1 : a spot disease of lemons and less frequently of other citrus fruits that is caused by a bacterium (Erwinia citrimaculans) — compare citrus blast
2 : a disease of peas that is prevalent in the Netherlands and that produces black spots in the seeds
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
- The Parts of the Fruit: Seed, Pericarp, and More
- The Trick to Choosing 'Pawn Off' or 'Palm Off'
- The Good, The Bad, & The Semantically Imprecise - 9/13/19
- A Guide to Using Colons
Ask the Editors
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?