Definition of black mangrove
1 : a mangrove (Avicennia marina) of the West Indies and the southern Florida coast that usually occurs in dense thickets and that has numerous short roots that bend up or away from the ground
2 : an Australian plant (Aegiceras majus) of the family Verbenaceae that resembles the black mangrove of the West Indies and Florida
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
- Is the Word 'Freshman' Going Out of Style?
- The Good, The Bad, & The Semantically Imprecise - 8/23/19
- Getting to the Heart of 'Epicenter'
- 'Conscience' vs. 'Conscious': Let Us Be Your Guide
Ask the Editors
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?