Definition of black ink
: a business profit or surplus While battered rivals … are only now glimpsing black ink, Cisco is racking up record profits.— Peter Burrows, Business Week, 24 Nov. 2003 : the condition of showing a profit Corporations … have realized that green behavior can mean black ink …— Sharon Begley, Newsweek, 24 Apr. 2000 — compare red ink
Keep scrolling for more
an act or instance of returning to life
Get Word of the Day daily email!
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
Ask the Editors
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- Words from Greek and Latin Quiz Take the quiz
- Name That Thing: Animal Edition Take the quiz
- How Strong Is Your Vocabulary? Take the quiz
- Add Diction Play the game