Definition of black haw
1 : a shrub (Viburnum prunifolium) bearing cymes of white flowers and bluish black drupes
3 : either of two trees (Bumelia tenax and B. lanuginosa) of the southern U.S.
4 or less commonly black hawthorn : a hawthorn (Crataegus douglasii) of the western U.S.
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
Ask the Editors
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- Words from Greek and Latin Quiz Take the quiz
- Name That Thing: Animal Edition Take the quiz
- Name That Thing Take the quiz
- Dictionary Devil Play the game