Definition of black haw
1 : a shrub (Viburnum prunifolium) bearing cymes of white flowers and bluish black drupes
3 : either of two trees (Bumelia tenax and B. lanuginosa) of the southern U.S.
4 or less commonly black hawthorn : a hawthorn (Crataegus douglasii) of the western U.S.
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
- The Provenance of 'Providence'
- The Good, The Bad, & The Semantically Imprecise - 8/16/19
- Lovelock to Trichologist: 8 Words About Hair
- The Haiku That Can Pay You Contest Winners
Ask the Editors
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?