Definition of black economy
: illicit economic activity done in violation of official regulations By tax-avoidance and regulation-evasion, the “black economy” amounts to an unofficial but effective supply-side program.— George F. Will, Springfield (Massachusetts) Union-News, 14 Sept. 1989 For instance, it taxed gross business income. Thus, tax bills could exceed net profits. So businesses became part of the black economy. And the government didn't know where to get revenue again.— P. J. O'Rourke, Rolling Stone, 14 Nov. 1996 The heroin trade funded Pakistan's thriving black economy.— Tariq Ali, The Duel, 2008
Keep scrolling for more
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
- We Added New Words to the Dictionary for September 2019
- 7 Words Related to "Work"
- The Parts of the Fruit: Seed, Pericarp, and More
- The Trick to Choosing 'Pawn Off' or 'Palm Off'
Ask the Editors
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?