variants: or bivy sac or less commonly bivvy bag or bivvy sac
Definition of bivy bag
: a collapsible bag made of weatherproof fabric that is used to provide shelter usually for a single person in the wilderness All night the rain came in wind-lashed waves that hammered at the nylon bivy bag …— Craig Medred, Anchorage Daily News, 30 Sept. 1990 I was comfortably warm in my sleeping bag and bivvy bag …— Clive Tully, Geographical Magazine, March 1990 I crawled back to my bike and unhooked my survival kit—a bivy sack, sleeping bag and foam pad.— Jill Homer, Juneau (Alaska) Empire, 16 Mar. 2008 This well-designed, compact bivvy sack is easy to slide into and protects best when temperatures are above 9C. — Toronto Star, 16 Aug. 2008
Keep scrolling for more
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
- We Added New Words to the Dictionary for September 2019
- 7 Words Related to "Work"
- The Parts of the Fruit: Seed, Pericarp, and More
- The Trick to Choosing 'Pawn Off' or 'Palm Off'
Ask the Editors
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?