Definition of bioclast
: a fragment of biological origin (such as a shell fragment or fossil) occurring in sedimentary rock You can have fabrics full of bioclasts—fragments of organic origin, such as bits of plants or clamshells—and you can classify the kinds of mineral grains, their size and distribution.— Karen Chin, quoted in Discover, June 1996
Keep scrolling for more
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
- The Words of the Week - 6/18/21
- The Disparity Between 'Desperate' and 'Disparate'
- An Impartial View of 'Fair' and 'Fare'
- A Guide to Em Dashes, En Dashes, and Hyphens
Ask the Editors
- Return of Name that Color! Take the quiz
- Name that Thing: Dog Breeds Take the quiz
- How Strong Is Your Vocabulary? Take the quiz
- SCRABBLE® Sprint Play the game