Definition of bindi
- On the morning of my belated return visit, an elegant matron with a jewelled bindi … gave me directions to a few of her favorite shops …
- —Judith Thurman, New Yorker, 13 Dec. 2004
- … has had to put aside the traditional Indian saris she adores and wear Western-style dress in public instead … . She has even abandoned her bindi—the small cosmetic dot worn on the forehead of most Indian women.
- —Michel Marriott, New York Times, 12 Oct. 1987
- The current tenant, the beautiful and mysterious Maya Vanasi, has Jefferson spellbound. He is entranced by the red dot, or bindi, painted on her forehead, which she explains is a symbolic third eye, representing wisdom, or “the window to the soul.”
- —Publishers Weekly, 10 Jan. 2000