Definition of big-tree plum
: a small tree (Prunus mexicana) of the southeastern U.S. that is sometimes cultivated for ornament, that has glandless, abruptly acuminate, coarsely serrate leaves broadly rounded at the base and softly pubescent beneath, and that produces a purplish red fruit
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
- The Good, The Bad, & The Semantically Imprecise - 10/18/19
- Noah Webster's Spelling Wins and Fails
- The Disputed Origins of the 'Egg Cream'
- At the Root of ‘Cubicle’
Ask the Editors
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- Where in the World? A Quiz Take the quiz
- Advanced Vocabulary Quiz Take the quiz
- Spell It Take the quiz
- Citation Play the game