Definition of big-eyed bug
: a bug of the family Lygaeidae especially : any of several bugs (genus Geocoris) that have protuberant eyes which project backward over the pronotum and feed especially on aphids and leafhoppers Ground beetles and big-eyed bugs are actually beneficial and help to keep pest insects under control. — Eleanor Foerste, Orlando Sentinel, 19 Nov. 1994 The big-eyed bug preys on spider mites (Tetranychus species), serious pests of the cotton plant. — Science News, 26 July 1997
to form ideas or theories about something
Get Word of the Day daily email!
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
Ask the Editors
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- Farm Idioms Quiz Take the quiz
- Up in the Sky: A Quiz Take the quiz
- How Strong Is Your Vocabulary? Take the quiz
- SCRABBLE® Sprint Play the game