bibliometricsnoun, plural in form but singular in construction
Definition of bibliometrics
: the application of statistical methods to the study of bibliographic data How many publishing scientists know anything at all about citation networks … bibliometrics, or even basic information retrieval?— Donald A. Windsor, Chemical & Engineering News, 18 Nov. 1974 Two of the primary concerns of information scientists have been information retrieval and bibliometrics.— Fred Lerner, The Story of Libraries, (1945) 1998 … growing scientific opportunities confront governments with increasingly tough choices of where to focus support. Bibliometrics appears to provide a powerful management tool to help make such decisions. — Lee Elliot Major, The Guardian (London), 16 June 1998
Keep scrolling for more
an act or instance of editing or removing
Get Word of the Day daily email!
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
- 12 Words For A Lunar Travelogue
- The Good, The Bad, & The Semantically Imprecise - 7/19/19
- On ‘Perpetrate’ and ‘Perpetuate’
- 13 Verbs From The Breakfast Table
Ask the Editors
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?