Definition of bharta
: an Indian dish of vegetables (such as eggplant and often onion or tomato) that have been cooked usually by roasting and then mashed together with pungent spices Among the vegetables, the … bharta eggplant was beguilingly spiced …— Florence Fabricant, New York Times, 10 May 1981 While many diners visit an Indian restaurant because they crave a lamb vindaloo or an eggplant bharta or another familiar standard, the predictable list of dishes offered locally hardly represents the rich variety of the Indian kitchen.— Robert Shoffner, Washingtonian, November 1994 The eggplant bhartha, cooked down with ginger and garlic into almost a paste, was smooth and musky, to the point that it could be considered more of a dip than a dish. — Sarah Musgrave, The Gazette (Montreal), 7 Jan. 2006 Try the silken eggplant bhurta that is baked over an open flame, then mashed with sautéed onions …— Mimi Sheraton, New York Times, 30 Nov. 1979
Keep scrolling for more
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
- Is the Word 'Freshman' Going Out of Style?
- The Good, The Bad, & The Semantically Imprecise - 8/23/19
- Getting to the Heart of 'Epicenter'
- 'Conscience' vs. 'Conscious': Let Us Be Your Guide
Ask the Editors
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- Summer 2019 Words of the Day Quiz Take the quiz
- Obscure Shapes Take the quiz
- Name That Thing Take the quiz
- SCRABBLE® Sprint Play the game