best (out) of three/five/sevenidiom
Definition of best (out) of three/five/seven
—used to say that the winner of a series of games, sets, etc. will be the one that wins the majority of the odd number (three, five, seven, etc.) maximum to be played The team advanced to the finals by winning the best out of seven semifinal series four games to one.The winner of a best of five set tennis match must win three sets.
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
- 'Conscience' vs. 'Conscious': Let Us Be Your Guide
- Hot Enough for You? Words for the Summer Heat
- Where Does 'Run-of-the-Mill' Come From?
- The Provenance of 'Providence'
Ask the Editors
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?