best (out) of three/five/sevenidiom
Definition of best (out) of three/five/seven
—used to say that the winner of a series of games, sets, etc. will be the one that wins the majority of the odd number (three, five, seven, etc.) maximum to be played The team advanced to the finals by winning the best out of seven semifinal series four games to one.The winner of a best of five set tennis match must win three sets.
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
- Where Does 'Run-of-the-Mill' Come From?
- The Provenance of 'Providence'
- The Good, The Bad, & The Semantically Imprecise - 8/16/19
- Lovelock to Trichologist: 8 Words About Hair
Ask the Editors
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- Summer 2019 Words of the Day Quiz Take the quiz
- Obscure Shapes Take the quiz
- How Strong Is Your Vocabulary? Take the quiz
- Syn City Play the game