be·sa | \ ˈbā-sə\
plural bese\ ˈbā-(ˌ)sā \ or besas
Definition of besa
1a : a coin issued from 1909 to 1921 for use in Italian Somaliland where it was worth ¹/₁₀₀ of a rupia
b : a corresponding unit of value the circulation of 2-besa and 4-besa coins
2a : a copper coin formerly used in Ethiopia where it was worth ¹/₁₀₀ of a talari
b : a corresponding unit of value a ¹/₂-besa coin was struck
Keep scrolling for more
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
- Is the Word 'Freshman' Going Out of Style?
- The Good, The Bad, & The Semantically Imprecise - 8/23/19
- Getting to the Heart of 'Epicenter'
- 'Conscience' vs. 'Conscious': Let Us Be Your Guide
Ask the Editors
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- Summer 2019 Words of the Day Quiz Take the quiz
- Obscure Shapes Take the quiz
- True or False? Take the quiz
- Word Winder's CrossWinder Play the game