Definition of beryllium oxide
: a white amorphous compound BeO having high thermal conductivity and high electrical resistance that is usually obtained by treatment of beryl ore and is used chiefly as a high-temperature refractory (as in crucibles) and in phosphors (as for television screens, X-ray equipment, and formerly fluorescent lamps)
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
- The Provenance of 'Providence'
- The Good, The Bad, & The Semantically Imprecise - 8/16/19
- Lovelock to Trichologist: 8 Words About Hair
- The Haiku That Can Pay You Contest Winners
Ask the Editors
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?