Definition of benzyl bromide
: a colorless to slightly yellow corrosive liquid C7H7Br used in organic synthesis and formerly used as a war gas due to its irritant effects on skin and the mucous membranes At Bolimov, on 31 Jan. 1915, Haber's troops fired shells filled with liquid benzyl bromide, a tear gas suggested by Hans Tappan, another chemist, but at the extremely cold temperatures the liquid failed to vaporize.— Donald Richter, Chemical Soldiers, 1992
Keep scrolling for more
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
- The Disparity Between 'Desperate' and 'Disparate'
- An Impartial View of 'Fair' and 'Fare'
- A Guide to Em Dashes, En Dashes, and Hyphens
- The Words of the Week - 6/11/2021
Ask the Editors
- Name that Thing: Dog Breeds Take the quiz
- Words You Should Know Quiz, Vol. 1 Take the quiz
- True or False? Take the quiz
- Word Winder's CrossWinder Play the game