Definition of benzal chloride
: a colorless highly refractive liquid compound C6H5CHCl2 made by chlorinating toluene and used especially in the synthesis of benzaldehyde; α,α-dichloro-toluene
— called also benzylidene chloride
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
- The Good, The Bad, & The Semantically Imprecise - 11/8/19
- Words We're Watching: 'Nibling'
- ls ‘Series’ Singular or Plural?
- Triumph, Ovations and Other Words from Ancient Rome
Ask the Editors
- Confusing Words—A Quiz Take the quiz
- Here Be Dragons: A Creature Identification Quiz Take the quiz
- Spell It Take the quiz
- Citation Play the game