bell sparrownoun, often capitalized B
variants: or bell's sparrow
Definition of bell sparrow
: a California desert sparrow (Amphispiza belli belli) that is brownish gray above and white below with a black tail and yellowish wing margins
Keep scrolling for more
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
- Looking at ‘Bothsidesing’
- On ‘Infringe,’ ‘Encroach,’ and ‘Impinge’
- The Good, The Bad, & The Semantically Imprecise - 9/20/19
- A Note on the Nonbinary 'They'
Ask the Editors
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?