variants: or less commonly bellhousing \ ˈbel-ˌhau̇-ziŋ \
plural bell housings also bellhousings
Definition of bell housing
: the bell-shaped housing covering the clutch and the flywheel in an automobile engine After installing and torquing all the bellhousing bolts to spec, you can reinstall any motor mounts that you had removed, the drive axles, as well as any other components under the car.— John Decker, Popular Mechanics, September 1997
Keep scrolling for more
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
- The Provenance of 'Providence'
- The Good, The Bad, & The Semantically Imprecise - 8/16/19
- Lovelock to Trichologist: 8 Words About Hair
- The Haiku That Can Pay You Contest Winners
Ask the Editors
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?