believe inphrasal verb
believed in; believing in; believes in
Definition of believe in
1 : to have faith or confidence in the existence of (something) Do you believe in ghosts?
2 : to have trust in the goodness or value of (something) She believes in (the value of) regular exercise. I believe in working hard to achieve success. She doesn't believe in using pesticides.
3 : to have trust in the goodness or ability of (someone) Despite his problems, his parents still believe in him.
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
- The Good, The Bad, & The Semantically Imprecise - 5/24/19
- Summer Reading Picks from Merriam-Webster Staffers
- The Wayward Cousins of 'Irregardless'
- Different Words for Luggage and Baggage
Ask the Editors
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- Challenging Vocabulary Quiz Returns! Take the quiz
- Time Traveler Quiz: Which Word Came First? Take the quiz
- How Strong Is Your Vocabulary? Take the quiz
- SCRABBLE® Sprint Play the game