believe inphrasal verb
believed in; believing in; believes in
Definition of believe in
1 : to have faith or confidence in the existence of (something) Do you believe in ghosts?
2 : to have trust in the goodness or value of (something) She believes in (the value of) regular exercise. I believe in working hard to achieve success. She doesn't believe in using pesticides.
3 : to have trust in the goodness or ability of (someone) Despite his problems, his parents still believe in him.
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
Ask the Editors
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- What's that Smell?! Quiz Take the quiz
- Farm Idioms Quiz Take the quiz
- True or False? Take the quiz
- Bee Cubed Play the game