be·hen·ic acid | \ bə-ˈhe-nik-, -ˈhē- \
Definition of behenic acid
: a crystalline fatty acid CH3(CH2)20COOH occurring in the form of esters especially in the fats and oils from seeds (such as ben oil, peanut oil) and in some waxes
— called also docosanoic acid
Keep scrolling for more
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
Ask the Editors
- Why is there a 'd' in 'fridge' but not in 'refrigerator'?
- 'All Intensive Purposes' or 'All Intents and Purposes'?
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- Name that Thing: Dog Breeds Take the quiz
- Words You Should Know Quiz, Vol. 1 Take the quiz
- Name That Thing Take the quiz
- Word Winder's CrossWinder Play the game