behavioral geneticsnoun, plural in form but singular in construction
variants: or behavior genetics
Definition of behavioral genetics
: the study of the relationship between the genetic composition of an organism and its behavior The third bridge between the biological and the mental is behavioral genetics, the study of how genes affect behavior.— Steven Pinker, The Blank Slate, 2003 This oversimplified model, which underlies most current research in behavior genetics, ignores the critical importance of the brain, the environment, and gene expression networks.— Dean Hamer, Science, 4 Oct. 2002
Keep scrolling for more
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
Ask the Editors
- Why is there a 'd' in 'fridge' but not in 'refrigerator'?
- 'All Intensive Purposes' or 'All Intents and Purposes'?
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- Name that Thing: Dog Breeds Take the quiz
- Words You Should Know Quiz, Vol. 1 Take the quiz
- True or False? Take the quiz
- SCRABBLE® Sprint Play the game