bed downphrasal verb
bedded down; bedding down; beds down
Definition of bed down
1 : to lie down somewhere for sleep There were so many people that some of us had to bed down in the living room.
2 : to provide (a person or animal) with a place to sleep They bedded us down in the living room. When the animals had been fed and bedded down, we went inside to eat dinner.
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
- The Good, The Bad, & The Semantically Imprecise - 8/23/19
- Getting to the Heart of 'Epicenter'
- 'Conscience' vs. 'Conscious': Let Us Be Your Guide
- It's a Scorcher! Words for the Summer Heat
Ask the Editors
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- Summer 2019 Words of the Day Quiz Take the quiz
- Obscure Shapes Take the quiz
- Name That Thing Take the quiz
- Word Winder's CrossWinder Play the game