Definition of becket
(Entry 1 of 2)
: a device for holding something in place: such as
a : a grommet or a loop of rope with a knot at one end to catch in an eye at the other
b : a ring of rope or metal
c : a loop of rope (as for a handle)
Definition of Becket (Entry 2 of 2)
Saint Thomas circa 1118–1170 Thomas à Becket archbishop of Canterbury (1162–70)
Keep scrolling for more
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
- The Good, The Bad, & The Semantically Imprecise - 10/18/19
- Noah Webster's Spelling Wins and Fails
- The Disputed Origins of the 'Egg Cream'
- At the Root of ‘Cubicle’
Ask the Editors
- Why Do People Pronounce It "Nucular"?
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- Where in the World? A Quiz Take the quiz
- Advanced Vocabulary Quiz Take the quiz
- Spell It Take the quiz
- Bee Cubed Play the game