beat a dead horseidiom
Definition of beat a dead horse
chiefly US, informal
1 : to keep talking about a subject that has already been discussed or decided I don't mean to beat a dead horse, but I still don't understand what happened.
2 : to waste time and effort trying to do something that is impossible Is it just beating a dead horse to ask for another recount of the votes?
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
Ask the Editors
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- Farm Idioms Quiz Take the quiz
- Up in the Sky: A Quiz Take the quiz
- True or False? Take the quiz
- SCRABBLE® Sprint Play the game