Definition of bear witness
1 : to show that something exists or is true —+ toHis success bears witness to the value of hard work.Rising ticket sales bear witness to the band's popularity.
2 formal : to make a statement saying that one saw or knows something asked to bear witness to the facts She was accused of bearing false witness at the trial.
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
- The Good, The Bad, & The Semantically Imprecise - 11/15/19
- 'Cliché': We’ve Heard It All Before
- 'Bounty Hunter': A Hollywood Invention
- Casting Light on 'Angel'
Ask the Editors
- Pass the Little Ribbons: A Pasta Word Quiz Take the quiz
- Confusing Words—A Quiz Take the quiz
- Spell It Take the quiz
- Citation Play the game