Definition of bay shrimp
1 : any of various small, pinkish shrimp (such as Pandalus borealis and P. jordani) harvested chiefly in cold northern marine waters and widely sold as food … a Greek salad that arrived piled with bay shrimp—all simple, hearty and delicious.— Barbara Tannenbaum, Los Angeles Times, 10 Nov. 2002 Served in an old-fashioned “tulip” sundae glass, the cocktail consists of dozens of tiny bay shrimp topped by a dollop of zippy red sauce.— Greg Morago, Hartford (Connecticut) Courant, 6 Apr. 2003
2 : a shrimp (Crangon franciscorum) found in marine and estuarine waters along the Pacific coast of North America and caught chiefly for use as fish bait Bay shrimp are a key building block in the bay's food chain. They are eaten by birds, such as blue herons and snowy egrets, as well as by fish such as striped bass.— Paul Rogers, San Jose (California) Mercury News, 17 July 2003
Keep scrolling for more
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
- 'Buck Naked' or 'Butt Naked'?
- Do You 'Rein In' or 'Reign In' Something?
- Tiger Mom, Helicopter Parent, and More Words for Parenting Types
- The Good, The Bad, & The Semantically Imprecise - 6/21/19
Ask the Editors
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- Words for Summer: A Quiz Take the quiz
- Finance Words Quiz Take the quiz
- True or False? Take the quiz
- SCRABBLE® Sprint Play the game