bat·tle·dore | \ ˈba-tᵊl-ˌdȯr\
Definition of battledore
1a : a beetle or bat that is used in washing or smoothing clothes
b : a tool with a long flat blade with a square end that is used in glassworking to flatten the bottoms of vessels
c : a long-handled paddle that is used for placing loaves in an oven
2a : a light flat bat or racket that is used in striking a shuttlecock
3 : a child's primer usually made of two or three pages of stiff cardboard on which were printed or impressed the alphabet, numerals, and other rudimentary material and used especially in the 17th and 18th centuries
Keep scrolling for more
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
- Is the Word 'Freshman' Going Out of Style?
- The Good, The Bad, & The Semantically Imprecise - 8/23/19
- Getting to the Heart of 'Epicenter'
- 'Conscience' vs. 'Conscious': Let Us Be Your Guide
Ask the Editors
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- Summer 2019 Words of the Day Quiz Take the quiz
- Obscure Shapes Take the quiz
- True or False? Take the quiz
- Syn City Play the game