bat·tle·dore | \ ˈba-tᵊl-ˌdȯr\
Definition of battledore
1a : a beetle or bat that is used in washing or smoothing clothes
b : a tool with a long flat blade with a square end that is used in glassworking to flatten the bottoms of vessels
c : a long-handled paddle that is used for placing loaves in an oven
2a : a light flat bat or racket that is used in striking a shuttlecock
3 : a child's primer usually made of two or three pages of stiff cardboard on which were printed or impressed the alphabet, numerals, and other rudimentary material and used especially in the 17th and 18th centuries
Keep scrolling for more
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
- We Added New Words to the Dictionary for September 2019
- 7 Words Related to "Work"
- The Parts of the Fruit: Seed, Pericarp, and More
- The Trick to Choosing 'Pawn Off' or 'Palm Off'
Ask the Editors
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?