Definition of battle-board tennis
1 : modified tennis in which opponents play side by side on a half court with the net hung at one end in front of a board from which the ball rebounds
2 : a practice tennis game for one player in which the rebound from a board simulates a return shot from an opponent
a sum of money that is sent as a payment
Get Word of the Day daily email!
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
Ask the Editors
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- Time Traveler Quiz: Which Word Came First? Take the quiz
- Slippery Words Quiz—Changing with the Times Take the quiz
- True or False? Take the quiz
- Word Winder's CrossWinder Play the game