batten downphrasal verb
battened down; battening down; battens down
Definition of batten down
1 : to prepare for possible trouble or difficulty People are battening down in preparation for a fierce storm.
2 : to tie, close, or cover (something) in order to prevent it from moving or becoming damaged Everything on the ship's deck was battened down.
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
- Summer Reading Picks from Merriam-Webster Staffers
- The Wayward Cousins of 'Irregardless'
- Different Words for Luggage and Baggage
- Rapping on 'Bad Rap' and 'Bad Rep' (and 'Bad Wrap')
Ask the Editors
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- Time Traveler Quiz: Which Word Came First? Take the quiz
- Slippery Words Quiz—Changing with the Times Take the quiz
- Name That Thing Take the quiz
- Bee Cubed Play the game