batten downphrasal verb
battened down; battening down; battens down
Definition of batten down
1 : to prepare for possible trouble or difficulty People are battening down in preparation for a fierce storm.
2 : to tie, close, or cover (something) in order to prevent it from moving or becoming damaged Everything on the ship's deck was battened down.
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
Ask the Editors
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- Farm Idioms Quiz Take the quiz
- Up in the Sky: A Quiz Take the quiz
- Spell It Take the quiz
- Add Diction Play the game