Definition of bastard oak
1 : scarlet oak
2 : a moderate-sized oak (Quercus durandii) of the south-central U.S. with rather small ovoid acorns
— called also bastard white oak, pin oak
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
Ask the Editors
- Why Do People Pronounce It "Nucular"?
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- Where in the World? A Quiz Take the quiz
- Advanced Vocabulary Quiz Take the quiz
- Spell It Take the quiz
- Dictionary Devil Play the game