Definition of basket flower
1 : an annual plant (Centaurea americana) of the southwestern U.S. often cultivated for its purple-rayed flower heads with involucres like baskets
2 : a spider lily (Hymenocallis calathina) having umbels of two to four flowers, each with linear perianth segments
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
Ask the Editors
- Why Do People Pronounce It "Nucular"?
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- Word Puzzles Take the quiz
- Where in the World? A Quiz Take the quiz
- Spell It Take the quiz
- Add Diction Play the game